Tuesday, September 20, 2011

An Easy Way to Start on the Road to a Deming-like Management Method

I come from the perspective that the Deming Management Method (DMM) is as difficult as it is made to be. Many times it is made out to be very complex. To me it is simple and when I communicate it I try to keep it as simple as possible. I would recommend three simple and yet profound books:
1) The Deming Management Method by Mary Walton. $5 in a discount bookstore. It will give you an overview of Dr Deming's thinking, enough to apply in any organization, and practical examples. The examples of implementation (Ford is one) are mostly out of date because quality improvement is continuous and many organizations do not have the power to stay the course.
2) To understand the concept of a system and related thoughts (if necessary) I would recommend "The Goal" by Eliyahu Goldratt. This book will cost new $25 and used less.
3) Lastly and it might be the most important, a book on positive leadership, "LEADING PEOPLE TO BE HIGHLY MOTIVATED AND COMMITTED" by Ben S. Simonton. Simply stating it is a profound and unique book. Ben has a website and the book can be purchased in pdf format for $10. Over the years leadership, positive leadership, in my mind has become the building blocks and glue of DMM. Without the type of leadership Dr Deming practiced there will be no sustaining power for a Deming-guide CQI system. This is the answer to the question why DMM is not more widespread practiced. There is a great lack of positive leadership in many of our countries.

This $40 max cost will be well worth the value. In my life the fruits have been incalculable from a business and personal level.

2 comments:

  1. My strong suggestions would be to substitute the Leader's Handbook by Peter Scholtes for the first book you mention.

    The Goal is decent. It isn't my favorite book, but lots of people like it and find it useful in getting the right mindset.

    You can also visit my website for free :-) http://curiouscat.com/deming/

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I appreciate your website. It is a great resource.

    Perhaps Dr Deming's greatest strength was his own personal positive leadership which is not emphasized enough in my opinion. Ben's book is pure leadership to make this emphasis on leadership stronger.

    ReplyDelete