Saturday, January 8, 2011

Why Layoffs Generally Result from Incompetent Management?

At one time I read somewhere there are three steps to layoffs:
1) Layoff managers
2) Layoff managers
3) Layoff managers
The point is "what brings a company to a place and a time where in some cases there is a need to layoff tens of thousands of employees at one time?" This means there was no proactiveness, no attrition, and no forethought among management. I cannot even imagine a company carrying an extra 20,000 employees it does not need to perform the function of the company, and then in one fell swoop, make redundant 20,000 employees. This huge excess of employees were all hired by management. Not one of these redundancies were hired by a front-line worker. So if there was so gross a miscalculation of manpower who should pay the price first, second and third. I think better managers/leaders were needed. And then often when the managers are let go there is no rhyme or reason for their layoffs. In particular American culture needs a change of culture.

I could go on and on here making my point, but I won't. The point is so simple and basic with students of Dr Deming that I will just let the link below stand as a witness to my thoughts on the matter.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/enderle/why-layoffs-generally-result-from-incompetent-management/?cs=30821

No comments:

Post a Comment